It’s disappointing to have to throw away food due to spoilage. With the following recommendations, you can take advantage of your fridge settings and compartments and maximise the life span of your perishable goods.
Ideal Fridge Temperatures
Your fridge functions best when it is set to a temperature above 0 degrees and below 4 degrees C. This temperature range slows down the growth of bacteria and resists chemical changes without accumulating frost.
If you have a moist air fridge, there will be slight variations in temperature: you will find that the temperatures are coldest at the back of the fridge near the coils, and warmest close to the door. A frost-free fridge regulates its temperature evenly throughout the compartments, but the lower shelves may be slightly colder than the top shelves.
Wait until your cooked leftovers have cooled before storing them in the refrigerator. Hot items will raise the temperature in your fridge temporarily and may contribute to the spoiling of other food items.
How Long Your Perishables Should Last
Your groceries have varying shelf lives:
- Cooked meats and leftovers should last approximately 3-4 days.
- Raw eggs in their shell can last 3-5 weeks
- Deli meats will last 3-5 days.
- Uncooked meats should be stored in the fridge as soon as possible and consumed within 3 days.
- Minced meat and seafood are particularly vulnerable to spoilage and micro-organisms, and should, therefore, be used as soon as possible.
- Milk will last around a week
- Butter can be stored in the fridge for up to two months.
Fruits and Vegetables
When storing vegetables, take advantage of the compartments at the bottom of your fridge; this is good for sealing your vegetables and regulating the temperature, prolonging freshness.
Some fruits are known to emit ethylene gas, which causes nearby vegetables to react and perish sooner. If possible, keep bananas, tomatoes, plums, peaches, nectarines, and avocados in the open air.
If your groceries are spoiling sooner than anticipated, your fridge might not be cooling properly. For a professional fridge service, call Matic Service on (02) 9709 6188.