Microwave cooking is often convenient and time-saving, but mishaps can occur from time to time. Sometimes, the intense energy of the microwave can cause certain foods to splatter, bubble and in extreme cases, explode. For instance, a whole egg put in boiling water inside of a microwave can explode due to the molecules with the shell expanding at an accelerated rate. Placing metal in the microwave can also cause very serious explosions, as metals reflect electric waves rather than absorbing them.
In the event that you have experienced an explosion with your microwave, here are 7 helpful tips to help you get your microwave back to working order safely:
1. Unplug the microwave while cleaning for safety reasons.
2. Open the microwave door carefully and have a large bucket or a garbage can nearby. If the door is dripping, position it over the bin to catch any liquid.
3. Wearing rubber gloves and using a hand-held broom and dustpan, remove any broken glass from inside the microwave. This may be hot, so avoid touching it.
4. If the turntable was broken or damaged, carefully remove it and dispose of it. It will require replacing. If it is still intact, remove it and soak it in a sink full of water to remove any mess.
5. Use a sponge or a cloth to wipe out the entire microwave. Look for any signs of damage, such as black marks along the sides or top of the microwave.
6. If you see any signs of damage, call a professional appliance repair service to come out and look at the microwave before you use it. You should also call for assistance if the turntable broke or if you used metal in the microwave, even if you don’t see signs of damage.
7. In the event that there is no damage or your situation does not meet any of the descriptions above, dry out the microwave before you attempt to use it again.
Matic Service is available to assist you if you have any lingering problems or damage due to something exploding in the microwave. Problems like this are very common, and we have the experience and expertise necessary to get microwaves working like new again. Call us today on (02) 9709 6188 for more information.